DEFENSE. ADVOCACY. COMMUNICATION.
24/7 Advice & Availability When You Need it Most
Northampton Criminal Defense Lawyer – 414-928-8840
Jesse Adams Law Firm LLC is the go-to law firm for so many of west Massachusetts that have been accused of a serious drug crime involving heroin. Our Northampton criminal defense attorney – Jesse Adams – is a hard-hitting defender who has dedicated his entire career to criminal defense, having not lost a single year prosecuting the accused. If you have been accused of possessing, distributing, or trafficking heroin within Massachusetts, look no further than our law office for the legal protection and counsel you need.
Case evaluations are completely free – just contact us today to start.
Definitions & Penalties for Heroin Crimes
Heroin is considered to be one of the most dangerous drugs according to federal statutes and policies. In response, states often use massive criminal penalties against convicted offenders. In Massachusetts, any sort of crime involving any amount of heroin is nearly-guaranteed to be a felony.
The three primary heroin charges in Massachusetts are:
- Possession: Heroin found within your property or on your person is considered possession; if the amount of heroin exceeds 14 grams, it will be escalated to trafficking.
- Penalties: Up to 2 years of imprisonment and up to a $2,000 fine for first-time convictions; additional convictions can be penalized with 2.5 year minimum sentencing, up to 5 years of imprisonment, and a fine up to $5,000.
- Sale or distribution: Promoting the sale of heroin, or providing heroin to another party for a favor or property, is considered the crime of distribution.
- Penalties: Between 2 and 10 years of imprisonment and up to $10,000 fine for first-time convictions; 5 to 15 years of imprisonment and fine up to $25,000 for second conviction; minimum sentence of 40 years for third conviction; penalties will escalate at all levels if heroin sale was made within a school zone.
- Trafficking: Moving heroin in large quantities or across state lines can be considered trafficking; storing heroin in ways that could be interpreted as merchandisable packaging or for transit may also be considered trafficking.
- Penalties: Heroin trafficking penalties will range greatly depending on how much of the illegal narcotic is in question, and whether or not it can be tied to sales or a drug cartel; for trafficking in minimal amounts, imprisonment can last up to 20 years with 5 years minimum sentencing, and fines can be as high as $50,000.
Read What Our Clients Say
“He was in my corner the whole time, got me a big win and my life back. He is amazing.” - CJ
“He is the best defense attorney out there.” - JA
Tenacious Defense When Your Future is Uncertain
Just being accused of any sort of heroin crime in Massachusetts can be devastating to your personal life and your reputation, which in turn may harm your income. If you want to have confidence that your future is going to be shielded as much as possible from the ramifications of a heroin charge or conviction, then you want to work with our Northampton drug crime lawyer. With our personalized approach to criminal defense cases, we can start discussing your defense options and how to pursue a case dismissal, charge reduction, or acquittal.
Call 414-928-8840 to schedule your free consultation.